If spending time quality time with your partner fills your romantic cup, here are some creative ideas for a day date while using Proximity Hotel as a base of exploration.
Day trip for adventurers: North Carolina ZOo
37 miles from Proximity Hotel | 42 Minutes Driving | Get Directions
Hours: April – October: 9 AM – 5 PM | November – March : 9 AM – 4 PM
Located just south of Asheboro, the North Carolina Zoo is seated on a 2,200-acre tract of land in the Uwharrie Mountains. Approximately 500 acres of this property have been developed into one of the largest “natural habitat” zoos in the United States. You won’t find cages made of steel and concrete there. The animals are given enclosures that mimic their natural habitats to include trees, ponds, rocks, grass and dirt.
Romance Advisor Tips:
- The best times to visit are in Spring and Fall as the animals tend to be more active and visible in cooler (but not too cold) temperatures.
- The Zoo has 5 miles of walking on various inclines so make sure to wear comfortable clothing and bring water during warmer weather!
- It typically takes the whole day to fully experience and see all the wonderful exhibits of the NC Zoo.
Day trip for Collectors: Pottery in Seagrove, NC
41 miles from Proximity Hotel | 45 Minutes Driving | Get Directions
Open Hours Vary. See Pottery Directory
Nestled in the countryside of North Carolina you will find the largest concentration of working potters in the United States. Enjoy your day on a self-guided driving tour down some of North Carolina’s scenic byways. Within a 20-mile radius there are over 50 pottery shops to visit. Set your own pace as you go from shop to shop. You’ll most likely be greeted by the potters themselves. Seagrove offers a range of pottery, from functional everyday use, contemporary, sculptural, folk art, to historical forms from the past.
Romance Advisor Tips:
- Don’t know where to start? Try an interactive digital or a printable map of all the potters!
- Each Saturday in July, a select group of potters will open their studio for a first hand look at the process of making pottery. Learn more.
Day trip for history Buffs: Old Salem
28 miles from O.Henry Hotel | 33 Minutes Driving | Get Directions
Hours: Wednesday-Saturday 10 AM – 2 PM | Starting June 1, Wednesday-Saturday 10 AM – 4 PM
Old Salem is a historic district of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It features a living history museum (operated by the non-profit Old Salem Museums & Gardens, organized as Old Salem Inc.) that interprets the restored Moravian community. The non-profit organization began its work in 1950, although some private residents had restored buildings earlier. As the Old Salem Historic District, it was declared a National Historic Landmark (NHL) in 1966. The district showcases the culture of the Moravian settlement in North Carolina during the 18th and 19th centuries, communal buildings, churches, houses, and shops.
Romance Advisor Tip:
- You do not need a ticket to walk on the grounds of the Historic District, Heritage Bridge or shop at the Winkler Bakery and Moravian Book & Gift Shop. However, tickets give visitors access to all open buildings, including the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts (MESDA) Self-Guided Galleries.